Monday, May 30, 2011

First Day of School...well...kind of

I woke this morning READY to teach, but that doesn't mean that my stomach wasn't in knots.  "Today will go ok," I kept repeating to myself; that phrase shaped my day.

We are mastering Dr. Cornish time; we arrived at the house 5 minutes late and had enough time to collect our things. Dr. Cornish (Ms. Frizzle), loaded us onto the magic school bus and yelled "seat belts everyone!" as we sat, anxiously, awaiting our first day as REAL, LIVE South African teachers.
When I heard the gears spinning in the car, I thought it was the nerves upsetting my stomach.
"I have no power" Ms. Frizzle said. Were we talking philosophy now? Power from where?
"phrrroooooooooooooo" the car went. Downhill, we went. "I can't shift!" Ms. Frizzle said, "we can't teach!" we yelled!
Luckily, we realized that the gears were not engaging BEFORE we traveled the 30 minutes to Kenton On Sea (the rural school) and were able to make it back to Grahmstown (downhill, thank the Lord). 
We waited in the car while Dr. Cornish called the car rental company--the highlight of that phone conversation was when we heard her say, "I am well, but my car is not".
Also luckily, our friends at Samuel Ntsiko (the township school) allowed us into their classroom, where we were able to help, observe, and enjoy the students. We will be back their tomorrow, as it takes 24 hours for a new rental car to arrive (some things don't change).


More tomorrow! Hey Dayna! I listen to Taylor Swift here and think of you (I'm going round and round, but I belong with you!).
-Bianca

No comments:

Post a Comment